Australian and New Zealand Professional Association for Transgender Health
The Australian and New Zealand Professional Association for Transgender Health (ANZPATH) is a professional organization devoted to the understanding and treatment of gender identity disorders. ANZPATH was formed by Australasian attendees at the 2009 World Professional Association for Transgender Health (previously known as the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association) conference in Oslo.
ANZPATH recommended standards of care are based off the World Professional Association for Transgender Health Standards of Care. The biggest difference is the explicit recommendation of puberty suppressing medication therapy for adolescent patients.
- “We recommend that adolescents who fulfil eligibility and readiness criteria for gender reassignment initially undergo treatment to suppress pubertal development”.
- “We recommend that suppression of pubertal hormones start when girls and boys first exhibit physical changes of puberty (confirmed by pubertal levels of oestradiol and testosterone, respectively), but no earlier than Tanner stages 2-3.”
- “We recommend that GnRH analogues be used to achieve suppression of pubertal hormones.”
- “We suggest that pubertal development of the desired opposite sex be initiated at about the age of 16 yr, using a gradually increasing dose schedule of cross-sex hormones.”
- “We recommend referring hormone-treated adolescents for surgery when
- The real-life experience (RLE) has resulted in a satisfactory social role change;
- The individual is satisfied about the hormonal effects;
- The individual desires definitive surgical changes.”
- “We suggest deferring surgery until the individual is at least 18 years old.”
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "Australian and New Zealand Professional Association for Transgender Health"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family&Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles