Aphallia is a rare birth defect of unknown cause. It is not linked to deficient hormone amounts or action, but rather to a failure of the fetal genital tubercle to form between 3 and 6 weeks after conception. The urethra of an affected child opens on the perineum.
Prognosis and treatment
Although aphallia can occur in both males and females, it is considered a substantially more troublesome problem in a male, and has in the past sometimes been considered justification for assigning and rearing a genetically male infant as a girl.
- Aphallia. Retrieved on 2007-12-08.
- Skoog SJ, Belman AB (1989). "Aphallia: its classification and management". J. Urol. 141 (3): 589–92. PMID 2918598.
- Chibber PJ, Shah HN, Jain P, Yadav P (2005). "Male gender assignment in aphallia: a case report and review of the literature". Int Urol Nephrol 37 (2): 317–9. doi:10.1007/s11255-004-7974-0. PMID 16142564.
- De Castro R, Merlini E, Rigamonti W, Macedo A (2007). "Phalloplasty and urethroplasty in children with penile agenesis: preliminary report". J. Urol. 177 (3): 1112–6; discussion 1117. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2006.10.095. PMID 17296424.
- Descamps MJ, Hayes PM, Hudson DA (2007). "Phalloplasty in complete aphallia: pedicled anterolateral thigh flap". J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 62: e51. doi:10.1016/j.bjps.2007.04.014. PMID 17574944.
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "Aphallia"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family&Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles
*Some information provided in whole or in part by http://en.wikipedia.org/